Technically the concept of modular kitchens actually refers to an approach, which attempts to organise, integrate, configure and install separate distinct parts into a single system. This is done with the view to increase efficiency, decompose complicated units into simple sub-units and increase the flexibility and versatility of the same.
However, in order to ensure that the basic aim of this concept is amply met, there are certain things which need to be taken into consideration like:
- Space management: The need is to use every bit of available space, maximise its utility by integrating storage space seamlessly. With the variety of storage options available, the presence of innovative accessories and different cabinet styles, it is possible to have a clutter-free and efficient kitchen environment. This is facilitated by the use of the following sub-parts:
- Cooking range or hobs: This is a new-age compact unit which houses various cooking gadgets and incorporates them into the available countertop. Multiple burners facilitate faster cooking thereby saving time.
- Pull-out drawers: Arrangement of the different utensils into separate slots or pull-out drawers marked for them enables ease of use and a clutter-free kitchen.
- Cooker hoods: Also known as the kitchen chimney, it promotes a healthy atmosphere in the kitchen by eliminating smoke, odours etc.
- Adjustable shelves: Sliding adjustable shelves make it very convenient to store and take out kitchenware conveniently.
- Shutters: They are used to facilitate a clean and safe storage of breakable and fragile items of crockery, cups and plates etc.
- Cost effectiveness: Since the different parts of the modular kitchen are mass-produced in the factory, they become economically viable parts which require very less hassle to install. In fact any person with some experience in DIY stuff can easily create a design and integrate the different parts by installing them easily as per instructions given. This pre-fabricated nature of the different parts of the modular kitchen makes its installation cost, time and labour effective.
- Maintenance and repair: These are two factors which can turn out to be quite a hassle in the traditional kitchen. But with every nook and corner accessible in the modular kitchen, it becomes easy to maintain especially when cleaning or repair work is required. Each different element is collapsible which again proves to be beneficial in making repairs easy and economically inexpensive.
- Customisation with variation: The availability of a huge range of colour, materials, patterns, textures and designs enhance its versatility to fit in with all kinds of house decor. The ability to customise and personalise the effective design of the modular kitchen enhances its aesthetic value and also helps bring about uniqueness to the whole concept.
- Flexibility to remodel: The collapsible nature of the whole unit makes it possible for the modular kitchen to be remodelled easily and inexpensively. Thus an existing modular kitchen can be easily given a new look without having to take on the additional hassles involved in remodelling a traditional kitchen.
The modular kitchen is a concept par excellence. It is innovative and adaptable with a lot of room for customisation. Thus the popularity that it enjoys is absolutely justified and deserving.